Split Rock lighthouse is one of the most notable landmarks of Lake Superior's North Shore. The lighthouse is located off of Highway 61 about 45 minutes North of Duluth, MN. The incredible Mataafa Storm of 1905 claimed 29 vessels traveling on Lake Superior. One of these, the Madeira, was lost just North of where Split Rock lighthouse is located today. As a result, the United States Lighthouse Service began work on the Split Rock lighthouse we see today. The lighthouse was first lit up on July 31st, 1910.
In celebration of the lighthouses' centennial anniversary, it was lit up on the first Friday of every month during the Summer of 2010. This image is from one of those events that occured on the foggy evening of June 4th, 2010.
Uncle Harvey's Mausoleum, otherwise known as "The Cribs" by many locals, is a landmark in Duluth, Minnesota's canal park for which there are conflicting stories of its origin. There are some who believe it was a prohibition era underground casino while others hold it was merely used as storage for a fishing dock.
But, the real story is more likely much less romantic. A sign near the ruins describes the building as a business venture gone bad. It was constructed in 1919 by Harvey Whitney, the locations' namesake to be used as a sand and gravel hopper to support the booming industrial expansion in Duluth, MN during that time. After just three short years, it was abandoned in 1922.
Today, it is home to nesting gulls and a destination for scuba divers and those who are brave enough to climb it and jump into Lake Superior.